Philippines orders arrest of fugitive senator wanted by ICC after court ruling

0
56

MANILA – The Philippine National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) said Thursday it will arrest Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa without delay, following a court decision rejecting his bid to block the implementation of an International Criminal Court (ICC) warrant.

Justice Secretary Fredderick Vida earlier gave law enforcement agencies the go signal to proceed with the arrest of the senator, a key figure in former President Rodrigo Duterte’s anti-drug campaign, which has been linked to thousands of deaths.

“Fugitive Senator Dela Rosa will be arrested whether he likes it or not because we have to implement the law without fear or favour,” NBI Director Melvin Matibag said, describing the agency as the Philippine counterpart of the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Duterte, 81, who led the Philippines from 2016 to 2022, is currently detained in The Hague and is set to stand trial on charges of crimes against humanity. He has denied all allegations.

Dela Rosa, who served as Duterte’s national police chief during the anti-drug campaign, briefly resurfaced last week after months in hiding before leaving the Senate premises early on May 14, following reports of imminent arrest.

His petition for a temporary restraining order was denied by the Supreme Court on Wednesday. The senator had argued that the ICC warrant, issued in November and unsealed earlier this month, has no legal standing in the Philippines.

Authorities said they are pursuing leads on his whereabouts. Justice Secretary Vida warned that anyone assisting the senator in evading arrest would face legal consequences.

“We are pursuing this so that the ends of justice may be achieved,” Vida said.

Dela Rosa has denied involvement in unlawful killings linked to the government’s anti-drug operations, which saw thousands of suspected users and dealers killed in police raids and alleged vigilante-style attacks.

Human rights groups have accused authorities of systematic abuses, including extrajudicial killings and staged crime scenes. Police have rejected these claims, insisting that those killed were armed and resisted arrest.

Philippine National Police Chief Jose Melencio Nartatez said the agency would act in accordance with the law following the justice department’s directive, while emphasizing that operations would remain professional and impartial.

“The PNP likewise assures the public that all actions undertaken shall remain impartial, professional, and within the bounds of the law, with full respect for the constitutional rights of all parties concerned,” Nartatez said.

This report is prepared for international distribution and includes material sourced from wire reporting, including Reuters.

Author profile

Si Venus L Peñaflor ay naging editor-in-chief ng Newsworld, isang lokal na pahayagan ng Laguna. Publisher din siya ng Daystar Gazette at Tutubi News Magazine. Siya ay isa ring pintor at doll face designer ng Ninay Dolls, ang unang Manikang Pilipino. Kasali siya sa DesignCrowd sa rank na #305 sa 640,000 graphic designers sa buong daigdig. Kasama din siya sa unang Local TV Broadcast sa Laguna na Beyond Manila. Aktibong kasapi siya ng San Pablo Jaycees Senate bilang isang JCI Senator.

We appreciate your thoughts. Please leave a comment.