Heavy rains kill one in South Korea, flood major roads in the Philippines

0
84

MANILA, Philippines— Torrential rains caused deadly flooding and landslides in South Korea while intense southwest monsoon rains inundated major roads across Metro Manila and other parts of the Philippines on Monday, disrupting traffic and prompting the government to suspend work and classes in affected areas.

In southern South Korea, one person died and four others were injured after a landslide struck an apartment building in Geoje, South Gyeongsang province, according to the Interior and Safety Ministry. The landslide buried the building’s first floor. Three residents were rescued, but one later died at a hospital.

The Korea Meteorological Administration (KMA) maintained heavy rain warnings for parts of the southern region, including Geoje. Some areas recorded rainfall of up to 800 millimeters since Saturday, accompanied by thunderstorms. Rivers overflowed and roads were inundated in Geoje, while around 100 residents were evacuated because of the risk of additional landslides.

The Interior and Safety Ministry said about 390 people had been evacuated to safer locations across southern South Korea, while power outages affected around 3,580 homes.

In the Philippines, the Southwest Monsoon, or Habagat, brought another round of intense rainfall over Metro Manila and parts of Luzon. PAGASA said the monsoon was affecting Luzon and the western section of the Visayas, with Metro Manila, parts of Central Luzon, CALABARZON and other areas expected to experience cloudy skies, scattered rains and thunderstorms. The weather bureau warned that moderate to occasionally heavy rain could trigger flash floods and landslides.

The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority reported that PAGASA recorded 201.7 millimeters of rainfall in Metro Manila within five hours, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Monday. Of that amount, 138 millimeters fell in just two hours between noon and 2 p.m., causing floodwaters to rise rapidly in several parts of the capital.

Major roads affected included España Boulevard, where floodwaters reached 24 inches at the corner of M. Dela Fuente Street and 17 inches near Antipolo Street. Rizal Avenue, Abad Santos Avenue, C.M. Recto Avenue, Quirino Avenue and Taft Avenue were also among the flooded roads reported in Manila.

In Quezon City, flooding was reported along N.S. Amoranto Avenue, EDSA North Avenue, EDSA Bansalangin, A. Bonifacio Cloverleaf, Araneta Avenue, Quezon Avenue and Commonwealth Avenue. Some portions became impassable to light vehicles, including the A. Bonifacio Cloverleaf, where floodwaters reached about 26 inches.

Other affected areas included Chino Roces Avenue in Taguig, EDSA Ortigas Service Road in Mandaluyong, Marcos Highway in Marikina, and Gov. Pascual Avenue and F. Sevilla Boulevard in Malabon. Several roads had already seen floodwaters subside by Monday afternoon.

The heavy rain also caused severe traffic disruption, with motorists and public transport users struggling to navigate flooded roads. The national government ordered the suspension of government work and the cancellation of classes at all levels in affected areas beginning at noon, with schools instructed to shift to alternative or online learning arrangements.

The latest flooding comes after weeks of persistent monsoon rains and the passage of a storm over Luzon. According to the Office of Civil Defense, the prolonged bad weather had affected about 5 million people and left at least 23 people dead, mostly from floods and landslides. Nearly 25,000 people remained in government evacuation centers in several northern provinces as of Monday.

Among the recent fatalities were 10 people, including children, whose homes were buried in a landslide in Baguio City on August 9. Three other people were rescued alive with injuries after mud, rocks and debris swept down a mountainside while residents were sleeping.

PAGASA said the Southwest Monsoon remains the dominant weather system affecting Luzon, with continued rain and thunderstorms possible in several areas. The agency has advised the public to continue monitoring official weather and flood warnings, particularly in communities already saturated by prolonged rainfall.

The simultaneous weather emergencies in South Korea and the Philippines highlight the continuing threat posed by extreme rainfall, flooding and landslides across parts of East and Southeast Asia, with authorities in both countries maintaining emergency response and evacuation measures as heavy rains continue.


Floodwaters inundate España Boulevard in Manila’s University Belt following heavy rains, disrupting traffic and classes in the area. Photos by Kinrose Pagtakhan.
Author profile
DC Alviar

Professor DC Alviar is a tenured associate professor at National University (NU) Manila and a steering committee member of the Philippine International Studies Organization (PHISO). He has contributed to NU's community extension initiatives that introduced the five disciplines of a learning organization (Senge, 1990) to communities within a local government unit. He writes and edits local reports for Mega Scene. He graduated with Master of Development Communication (MDC) and Doctor of Communication (DComm) degrees from the University of the Philippines (UP) Open University in Los Baños and was awarded with a Commission on Higher Education (CHED) SIKAP grant. He previously served as editor-in-chief of The Adamson News and his high school publication Ang Ugat.

We appreciate your thoughts. Please leave a comment.