WASHINGTON/OTTAWA — The United States has imposed 50% tariffs on approximately $20 billion worth of Canadian goods after last-minute trade negotiations between the two longtime allies collapsed, sharply escalating tensions in one of the world’s most deeply integrated economic relationships.
The tariffs took effect after U.S. President Donald Trump allowed a temporary three-day pause to expire without an agreement. Canada has responded by announcing dollar-for-dollar retaliatory tariffs on selected U.S. products beginning September 8.
Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney said Saturday that Canada could not accept the latest U.S. proposals, which he described as unfair and economically damaging. He ordered Canadian negotiators to return to Ottawa after talks broke down.
Carney said the United States had introduced new conditions during the final stages of negotiations that Canada considered unacceptable.
“We cannot accept what they have offered, and we will not give what they have asked,” Carney said in remarks released by his office.
Canada said its retaliatory tariffs will be concentrated on selected U.S. sectors, including steel, dairy products, appliances, agricultural equipment, pulp and paper, and electronics.
The measures will also cover products already affected by U.S. Section 232 and Section 338 tariffs, according to Carney. Details of the Canadian tariff list are expected to be released in the coming days.
Carney said the countermeasures will take effect on September 8, the Tuesday after Canada’s Labour Day holiday. The Canadian government said the tariffs are intended to protect domestic workers and businesses from the impact of the new U.S. duties.
Canada has acknowledged that retaliatory tariffs could also increase costs for Canadian consumers, but the government argues that the measures are necessary to defend Canadian industries while the country works to diversify its export markets.
The Trump administration has justified the additional duties under Section 338 of the U.S. Tariff Act of 1930, which allows the president to impose tariffs of up to 50% in response to what Washington determines to be discriminatory or unequal treatment of U.S. commerce.
U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer said the administration’s action was intended to address what Washington considers discriminatory Canadian policies involving U.S. alcoholic beverages, dairy products and vehicle exports.
The U.S. measures cover products outside the preferential treatment provided under the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement, or CUSMA, known as USMCA in the United States. The agreement remains the central framework governing trade among the three North American economies.
The latest escalation followed several days of negotiations during which both governments had indicated that a possible agreement was within reach.
Canadian officials had previously said the two sides were making significant progress toward an arrangement that could have reduced tariffs affecting strategic industries, including automobiles, steel and aluminum.
However, disagreements remained over issues including Canadian market access for U.S. products, dairy policy, alcohol distribution and rules affecting vehicle trade.
Carney said the United States introduced additional terms late in the negotiations that Canada considered “uneconomic” and unfair. Reuters reported that the talks ultimately failed despite earlier expectations that a deal could be reached.
The dispute is particularly significant for Canada because of its heavy dependence on the U.S. market.
For decades, Canada and the United States have built highly integrated supply chains covering automobiles, energy, agriculture, manufacturing and other industries. Goods frequently cross the border multiple times during the production process before reaching consumers.
The latest tariffs therefore threaten to raise costs and disrupt supply chains on both sides of the border.
The economic confrontation also comes after months of tariff measures imposed by Washington and retaliatory actions by Ottawa, increasing uncertainty for businesses that depend on predictable cross-border trade.
Carney’s government has said the trade dispute is accelerating Canada’s efforts to reduce its dependence on the United States.
The prime minister said Canada is moving forward with major infrastructure projects, removing internal trade barriers and expanding commercial relationships with other countries.
Canada says its existing free-trade agreements already provide preferential access to approximately 1.5 billion consumers and that it intends to expand that access further.
Carney has also emphasized that Canada will continue supporting workers and businesses affected by the trade confrontation. His government says nearly $25 billion in support has already been provided over the past 18 months.
The trade dispute is also having political consequences inside Canada, particularly in Quebec, where the question of independence has periodically dominated provincial politics.
The economic uncertainty created by U.S. tariffs has complicated the argument for rapid separation from Canada, with concerns about market access, jobs and economic stability becoming more prominent.
Reuters reported Saturday that support for Quebec independence has fallen to around 30%, its lowest level in decades, as uncertainty surrounding U.S. trade policy has encouraged some Quebecers to place greater emphasis on Canada’s economic and political strength.
Quebec held sovereignty referendums in 1980 and 1995. The 1995 vote was particularly close, with 50.58% voting against sovereignty and 49.42% voting in favor.
The renewed trade tensions have added an economic dimension to the longstanding sovereignty debate, particularly for businesses exposed to the U.S. market.
The latest confrontation raises fresh questions about the future of CUSMA, which replaced NAFTA in 2020 and established the current framework for trade among Canada, the United States and Mexico.
The three economies have become deeply interconnected over decades, making a prolonged tariff conflict potentially damaging well beyond the industries directly targeted by the new duties.
For businesses on both sides of the border, the immediate concern is now the cost of tariffs, supply-chain disruptions and uncertainty over future market access.
With the United States and Canada among each other’s most important trading partners, the latest escalation represents more than another tariff dispute. It is a test of the North American economic partnership that has developed over more than three decades.
For now, negotiations have been suspended, U.S. tariffs are in effect, and Canada is preparing its own countermeasures for September 8.
The possibility of another agreement remains, but for businesses and workers on both sides of the border, the uncertainty has become the new reality.
Si Venus L Peñaflor ay naging editor-in-chief ng Newsworld, isang lokal na pahayagan ng Laguna. Publisher din siya ng Daystar Gazette at Tutubi News Magazine. Siya ay isa ring pintor at doll face designer ng Ninay Dolls, ang unang Manikang Pilipino. Kasali siya sa DesignCrowd sa rank na #305 sa 640,000 graphic designers sa buong daigdig. Kasama din siya sa unang Local TV Broadcast sa Laguna na Beyond Manila. Aktibong kasapi siya ng San Pablo Jaycees Senate bilang isang JCI Senator.






