UN calls for urgent aid to Myanmar quake survivors as death toll nears 3,000

0
59

The United Nations has urged the international community to expedite aid efforts for Myanmar’s earthquake survivors before the monsoon season exacerbates the already dire situation. The death toll currently stands at 2,719 and is expected to exceed 3,000.

Critical needs such as clean drinking water, hygiene supplies, food, shelter, and medical assistance remain pressing following the widespread destruction of infrastructure, including roads, bridges, and buildings. Marcoluigi Corsi, acting humanitarian and resident coordinator, emphasized the urgency of the situation after a two-day assessment visit.

“We remain, of course, deeply committed to reaching people in Myanmar who need aid,” said U.N. spokesperson Stephane Dujarric. “And we must act swiftly to provide relief before the upcoming monsoon season, which, of course, will even worsen this horrendous crisis.”

Call for Ceasefire Amid Civil War

Myanmar’s ongoing civil war had already displaced over 3 million people before the earthquake struck. U.N. Special Envoy for Myanmar Julie Bishop called for an immediate ceasefire, urging all parties to ensure safe humanitarian access.

“Continuing military operations in disaster-affected areas risks further loss of life,” she stated.

Myanmar’s military ruler, Min Aung Hlaing, reported that the 7.7-magnitude earthquake that struck on Friday had caused 2,719 deaths, 4,521 injuries, and 441 missing persons as of Tuesday morning.

“Among the missing, most are assumed to be dead. There is a narrow chance for them to remain alive,” he said in a televised speech.

The earthquake was the most powerful to hit Myanmar in over a century, toppling historic pagodas and modern structures alike. It severely impacted Mandalay, the country’s second-largest city, as well as Naypyitaw, the former junta-built capital.

Hospitals Overwhelmed, Aid Efforts Hindered

U.N. agencies have reported that hospitals are struggling to cope with the influx of casualties, while rescue efforts are being hampered by damaged infrastructure and ongoing conflicts. Despite the devastation, rebel forces have accused Myanmar’s military of continuing airstrikes in affected areas. In response, a major rebel alliance declared a unilateral ceasefire on Tuesday to allow humanitarian relief efforts to proceed.

Myanmar has been in turmoil since a 2021 military coup, which ended a decade of democratic progress and economic development. The military has been accused of committing atrocities against civilians amid efforts to suppress an armed rebellion. It has dismissed these allegations as misinformation, asserting that it is safeguarding the country from insurgents.

Search for Survivors Continues

Aftershocks continue to shake the region, adding to the distress of survivors. Julia Rees, a UNICEF representative, described the devastation after visiting affected communities.

“And yet, this crisis is still unfolding. The tremors are continuing. Search and rescue operations are ongoing. Bodies are still being pulled from the rubble,” she said in a statement. “Let me be clear: the needs are massive, and they are rising by the hour. The window for life-saving response is closing.”

In one of the most tragic incidents, the U.N. reported that 50 children and two teachers perished when their preschool collapsed in the Mandalay area. However, in a rare moment of hope, a 63-year-old woman was rescued alive on Tuesday after being trapped under the rubble in Naypyitaw for 91 hours. The Myanmar fire department, along with teams from India, China, and Russia, coordinated the rescue effort.

Military Response and Regional Impact

Myanmar’s civil war has complicated rescue and relief operations, with military-imposed internet and communication restrictions further hindering aid delivery. The Three Brotherhood Alliance, a coalition of three major ethnic rebel groups, declared a one-month ceasefire on Tuesday to facilitate humanitarian efforts.

State-controlled MRTV reported on Tuesday that the military had ceased its offensives, but accused ethnic minority armed groups of using the disaster as an opportunity to prepare attacks.

“The military is aware they are gathering, training, and preparing to attack,” said Min Aung Hlaing, speaking at a fundraising event for earthquake victims. “We consider it as attacking us and will respond accordingly.”

Meanwhile, Amnesty International has condemned the military’s alleged airstrikes in the eastern regions of Myanmar.

“You cannot ask for aid with one hand and bomb with the other,” said Amnesty’s Myanmar researcher Joe Freeman.

Collapsed Skyscraper in Thailand

The earthquake’s impact extended to neighboring Thailand, where the death toll reached 21 on Tuesday. Hundreds of buildings sustained damage, and emergency teams continue searching for survivors in the rubble of a collapsed skyscraper under construction in Bangkok.

Fourteen deaths have been confirmed at the site, with another seven fatalities reported elsewhere in the city. Experts estimate that up to 70 bodies remain trapped under the debris, with 12 located using scanning equipment, but massive concrete blocks are preventing access.

“Maybe they can survive one week or two weeks, so we have to go on,” said Bangkok Governor Chadchart Sittipunt. “The experts still have hope.”

Uncertain Military Leader’s Foreign Trip

It remains unclear whether Min Aung Hlaing will attend a scheduled regional summit in Bangkok this week. Thailand’s foreign ministry suggested on Tuesday that he may participate via teleconference instead.

With the monsoon season approaching and survivors in desperate need, global pressure is mounting for immediate and coordinated humanitarian action to prevent an even greater catastrophe in Myanmar.

Author profile

Si Venus L Peñaflor ay naging editor-in-chief ng Newsworld, isang lokal na pahayagan ng Laguna. Publisher din siya ng Daystar Gazette at Tutubi News Magazine. Siya ay isa ring pintor at doll face designer ng Ninay Dolls, ang unang Manikang Pilipino. Kasali siya sa DesignCrowd sa rank na #305 sa 640,000 graphic designers sa buong daigdig. Kasama din siya sa unang Local TV Broadcast sa Laguna na Beyond Manila. Aktibong kasapi siya ng San Pablo Jaycees Senate bilang isang JCI Senator.

We appreciate your thoughts. Please leave a comment.