Drone strike hits UAE nuclear plant as Gulf tensions escalate

0
44

DUBAI – A drone strike caused a fire at a nuclear power facility in the United Arab Emirates on Sunday, according to officials in Abu Dhabi, as diplomatic efforts to resolve the prolonged conflict involving Iran, the United States, and Israel remain stalled.

Authorities said the incident occurred at the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant, where a drone struck an electrical generator located outside the plant’s inner perimeter. The Abu Dhabi Media Office confirmed that the fire was contained and that no injuries were reported. It also said radiation safety levels remained stable and unaffected.

The UAE defense ministry stated that two additional drones were intercepted and neutralized, adding that the unmanned aerial vehicles were launched from the western border. Officials did not provide further details on attribution, saying investigations were ongoing. The government also said it reserves the right to respond to what it described as terrorist attacks.

The International Atomic Energy Agency reported that emergency diesel generators were supplying power to Unit 3 of the facility. It urged maximum military restraint near nuclear sites and said it was closely monitoring the situation.

The Barakah plant is the UAE’s first nuclear energy facility and a key component of the country’s civilian power infrastructure, located in the western region of Abu Dhabi emirate.

Regional tensions have intensified amid ongoing hostilities linked to the wider Iran conflict, which has affected Gulf shipping routes and energy infrastructure. Iran has previously been accused by the UAE of targeting energy facilities during the broader escalation, a claim Tehran has denied in earlier incidents.

The latest strike comes as negotiations to stabilize the region and reopen critical maritime routes remain deadlocked. The Strait of Hormuz, a strategic passage for global oil and gas shipments, continues to face disruption amid military activity and competing political demands.

Washington has called for Iran to dismantle its nuclear program and ease restrictions on shipping routes, while Tehran has demanded compensation for wartime damage and an end to sanctions and military pressure. Diplomatic efforts have so far failed to bridge the gap.

Iranian officials have warned of further retaliation if attacks continue. A senior Iranian military spokesperson said the United States would face severe consequences if it proceeds with threats of renewed strikes. Tehran’s foreign ministry also accused Washington and its allies of destabilizing global energy markets.

The conflict has already resulted in significant casualties in the region, including thousands killed in strikes in Iran and Lebanon, where Israel continues operations against Hezbollah. Despite a recently extended ceasefire in Lebanon, sporadic clashes have persisted, underscoring the fragility of regional calm.

Author profile

Edgardo Hernal started college at UP Diliman and received his BA in Economics from San Sebastian College, Manila, and Masters in Information Systems Management from Keller Graduate School of Management of DeVry University in Oak Brook, IL. He has 25 years of copy editing and management experience at Thomson West, a subsidiary of Thomson Reuters.

We appreciate your thoughts. Please leave a comment.