Trump says Iran deal, Strait of Hormuz reopening largely negotiated

0
39

WASHINGTON/ISLAMABAD/NEW DELHI – U.S. President Donald Trump said significant progress has been made toward a memorandum of understanding for a peace agreement with Iran, including the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz, a critical global shipping route for oil and energy trade.

In a social media post on Saturday, Trump said the agreement was “largely negotiated” and that only final details remained under discussion before an official announcement.

According to Trump, the proposed agreement is expected to pave the way for the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz, which has been heavily affected by the conflict that began after U.S. and Israeli strikes on Iran in February. The closure of the strategic waterway disrupted global energy markets and raised concerns over international shipping and oil supply.

However, Trump did not provide further details on the full scope of the proposed deal.

Iranian news agency Fars reported that the agreement would allow Iran to oversee the Strait of Hormuz but maintained that Trump’s claim that the deal was nearly finalized was “inconsistent with reality.”

Iran had earlier stated that it was working toward a memorandum of understanding aimed at ending the war following meetings between senior Iranian officials and Pakistan Army Chief Asim Munir.

The Pakistani military described the talks as producing “encouraging” progress toward a final understanding. Two Pakistani sources involved in the negotiations said the developing framework was comprehensive and designed to bring the conflict to an end.

Sources cited by Reuters said the proposed framework would proceed in three stages: formally ending the war, resolving the Strait of Hormuz crisis, and opening a 30-day negotiation period for a broader agreement that could be extended if necessary.

Earlier on Saturday, Trump told Axios he would decide whether to resume military strikes against Iran. According to the report, Trump said the situation would either result in a “good deal” or a renewed military offensive.

One Pakistani source said there was still no guarantee that the United States would accept the memorandum, but approval could lead to further negotiations following the Eid holiday.

Trump also reportedly held phone discussions with leaders from Saudi Arabia, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates, Jordan, Egypt, Turkey, and Pakistan. Axios reported that the leaders encouraged Washington to support the emerging framework.

Pakistan has continued to position itself as a mediator seeking to narrow differences between Iran and the United States after weeks of fighting and a fragile ceasefire that disrupted shipping activity in the Strait of Hormuz.

During a visit to India, U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio reiterated Washington’s conditions for ending the conflict. These include preventing Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons, reopening the Strait of Hormuz without tolls, and transferring Iran’s enriched uranium.

Rubio said progress had been made and negotiations remained ongoing, with the possibility of developments in the coming days.

Iran has repeatedly denied pursuing nuclear weapons, insisting that uranium enrichment is intended for civilian purposes. Tehran has also demanded the lifting of blockades on its ports and sanctions affecting Iranian oil exports.

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmail Baghaei said tensions had eased in recent days but acknowledged that several sensitive issues still required mediation and further discussion.

Following talks with Iranian negotiator Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf and Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi, Pakistan Army Chief Asim Munir departed Tehran on Saturday.

Qalibaf warned that Iran would continue defending what it described as its “legitimate rights” through diplomacy and military preparedness, adding that Iranian forces had strengthened their capabilities during the ceasefire.

Despite weeks of conflict, Iran has reportedly maintained its stockpile of near-weapons-grade enriched uranium as well as its missile, drone, and proxy capabilities.

Author profile

Si Venus L Peñaflor ay naging editor-in-chief ng Newsworld, isang lokal na pahayagan ng Laguna. Publisher din siya ng Daystar Gazette at Tutubi News Magazine. Siya ay isa ring pintor at doll face designer ng Ninay Dolls, ang unang Manikang Pilipino. Kasali siya sa DesignCrowd sa rank na #305 sa 640,000 graphic designers sa buong daigdig. Kasama din siya sa unang Local TV Broadcast sa Laguna na Beyond Manila. Aktibong kasapi siya ng San Pablo Jaycees Senate bilang isang JCI Senator.

We appreciate your thoughts. Please leave a comment.